Using Makeup Smart: Attaining That Fresh Makeup Look
Say what you want about the Grammys last week (#GrammysSoMale), but the style on the red carpet looks were can’t-miss, just as you’d expect. Of course, the regulars like Lady Gaga went all out for their appearance to the 60th annual award show. The fashion standouts have been covered beyond belief on every platform, but some celebrities went under the radar with more subtle but amazing looks.
That being said, I’m obsessed with Miley Cyrus' fresh makeup. Sure, she may have had her phases, but Miley is all grown up now and looking incredibly classy, proving that natural makeup is a viable look even on the biggest stage. Fresh makeup isn’t any less beautiful than over-the-top makeup; actually, it’s a harder look to pull off, which is why I’m here to point you in the right direction.
A Fresh Perspective
When approaching a fresh makeup look, you’re essentially taking the most beautiful, prominent features of your face and simply bringing them out—all while looking like you just stepped out of the shower. It’s basically the makeup equivalent of, “I woke up like this.” Think of it this way: You open the best book you've ever read to your favorite scene and highlight an impactful sentence or two. That’s not to say the rest of the page isn’t absolutely wonderful, but you just want to highlight a specific part that stood out to you. That, in a nutshell, is what fresh makeup is—you’re just putting a subtle emphasis on the gorgeousness that's already there.
How to Nail Fresh Makeup
1. Freshen up your skin. Your skin is the starting point of any look, but it’s especially important with natural makeup. A nice scrub to clear out your pores and remove dead skin is ideal for this. If you have troubles with acne or scarring, try the Natural Facial Acne Diminishing Scrub by Lexi Noel Beauty. Its natural ingredients are ideal for any skin type. Additionally, you’ll want to moisturize for a smooth look and healthy skin.
2. Conceal. Dab and blend. You know the routine, Beauty Bebes.
3. Warm up your cheeks. A little bit of blush goes a long way. Make it blend for a subtle flush.
4. Eyes and lashes. I know a lot of us like to get carried away here, but the eyes are the most important part of any makeup application. They set the whole tone for your look, so don’t choose a shade that’s drastically different from your skin tone; pick a shade that’s just a bit darker so your eyes pop. Also, you can apply lashes for an extra kick.
5. Love your lips. You might be tempted to cake on a nice tint that will really bring out your lips, but hold off on that when going for the fresh look. Instead, pick a shade that’s close to your lips and blend it with your finger for a smoother application.
When to Wear Fresh Makeup and What to Wear With It
It's really up to you to decide which occasions are appropriate for fresh makeup. On days like prom or the first day of school, you might want to go all out―depending on your style and personality. Outings like a simple Saturday, your brother's basketball game, or even a job interview are perfect for fresh makeup―again, depending on your flair and personality. Obviously, Miley wore it to the Grammys, a heavily covered event, so this minimalist look is appropriate for any event, big or small. When going with a fresh makeup look, consider toning down your ensemble to match your natural makeup. Simple colors and designs will give you a sophisticated look. To match the subtle look of fresh makeup, don't wear anything loud, but also don't be afraid to get creative.
What About Flaws?
A few of my Beauty Bebes might be petrified to try out the fresh makeup look because they use cosmetics to cover up what they view as flaws. I’d like every single one of you to embrace your “flaws” simply as features others aren’t blessed with. I’m not here to shame you or judge you; we’re all here because we’re OBSESSED with makeup, but don’t let your differences hold you back from trying out a new look. Stand out. Be seen. Be yourself. Be beautiful.
Get the Fresh Look with Lexi Noel Beauty
Beauty is what you have, and makeup is what brings it out. The cruelty-, gluten-, and paraben-free products of Lexi Noel Beauty are affordable and perfect for the fresh makeup look. Visit our products page to see all Lexi Noel Beauty has to offer. Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for upcoming deals and more tips.